- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups shallots, roughly chopped (about 6)
- 2 cups sherry vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat small saucepan over high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil, and allow to get very hot.
- Add shallots and cook until very brown.
- Add sherry vinegar and reduce by 3/4, simmering at least 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow shallots to cool.
- Carefully transfer to the Vitamix container.
- Add water and mustard, and secure lid.
- Select Variable 1.
- Turn machine on, and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.
- Blend for about two minutes or until smooth.
- Reduce speed to Variable 5. Remove the lid plug. While the machine is running, slowly pour oil through the lid plug opening in a thin stream until all is incorporated.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.